4.08.2005

10 things I'm looking forward to

In no particular order:

Kool-Aid. I love Kool Aid. I can't wait until my kid has a favorite flavor of Kool-Aid.

Tinker Toys. I haven't checked, but if they don't have Tinker Toys anymore, someone will have serious hell to pay. Remember Giant Tinker Toys? At one point I thought Giant Tinker Toys were the coolest thing in the world, next to Sea Monkeys (which I never had, and hence, totally believed in).

Saturday morning cartoons. I know they suck right now, but in 4 or 5 years, when they really matter, there'll either be something better on, or I'll hook the kid on Popeye & Looney Tunes DVD's.

Plastic swimming pools. The turtle pool with the built-in slide? And the Slip-n-Slide. Who can forget the Slip-n-Slide?

Legos. Not those stupid Lego Gas Station or Lego High-Rise Condominium "kits". When I was a kid, Legos came in giant boxes, and they were sorted by shape and color into various compartments. I don't even remember instructions, much less directions for the construction of a Strip Mall Shopping Center, or some other nonsense. If I have to, I'll buy every "kit" they make and reverse engineer an actual Lego set.

Little League sports. I don't care if it's soccer, football, basketball, baseball or ice skating - there's something intrinsically wonderful about watching children strive. Sport is among the most noble and beautiful of human achievements. If only I can get Anna to recognize this simple fact.

Richard Scarry books. If you don't know what I'm talking about, and you're younger than about 35, you were neglected as a child. Actually, I can name several dozen titles off the top of my head that I'm looking forward to revisiting, and dozens more I've discovered on recent trips to BookPeople. Our kid will have books, if nothing else.

A swingset. We have a huge backyard, and we will have both a swingset AND a treehouse. This I guarantee.

Fingerpaints. I can't wait for our house to become our child's art gallery.

Two words: Play-Doh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Silver Zephyr said...

dr. suess, baking things together, helping them grow their own garden (and making them pull weeds when they are old enough), frog and toad together!, lyle the crocodile, charlie chaplin movies, wooden blocks, matchbox cars....

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote this once but did something wrong (what can I say, it's a computer!) so will try again. I've saved all the very loved Richard Scarrey books and all the others that we spent so much time reading when you and Kristin were little. Some have torn pages and since you've always been a critic, some have crayola squiggles but I know they will bring back fond memories when you read them with little Frankie...sorry, I have to side with Anna on this one, the more I think about it. When you come home, we will get the old toy box out of the attic. Remember how you and Kristin would spent hours taking out every little tiny thing, until you got to the bottom of the box. It wasn't nearly as much fun to put it back, but you did it time after time. Can't wait to see what's in there. I'm certain there will be some of those evil Smirfs!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, try Aqua Teen Hunger Force for a cartoon. ~K

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home