4.14.2005

I'm sold

Franklin Duke it is. And for those of you not reading the notes, my cousin Shelee pointed out a glaring omission in my genealogy of the "Franklin" moniker - my grandpa, Dad's dad, was George Franklin Breshears. That makes our boy a fourth generation Franklin. I realize that's probably another argument for Duke Franklin, but more than one person was quick to point out that the poor kid will be saddled with the "dookie" nickname. I'm not sure which is worse: that I'm persuaded by the shameful force of the word "dookie," or that it's the first word that popped into the head of more than one grown ass adult when they heard the word "Duke." Personally, I think John Wayne, Hall of Fame centerfielder Duke Snider, Duke Ellington, Olympic gold medalist and legendary Hawaiian surfer Duke Kahanamoku...I don't actually think Duke Kahanamoku - that's a Googlet [holy crap - I think I just coined another word ] - but my point is that you should be slightly embarrassed that the first thing to cross your minds was "dookie" (and before you take offense at having been called out on this, know that my mom is one of you). In either case, I think we'll be going with Franklin Duke Breshears. Anna gets her "Frankie," and our boy can exercise his option on the "Duke" name if there's ever an uptick in the market value of hypermasculinity (the over/under is his 10th birthday, for those of you looking for side action). Besides, there may be a kind of Boy-Named-Sue-effect that comes with bearing the load of a cute nickname. I'm not looking to get stabbed by my kid or anything, but in this world, a little toughness doesn't hurt.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dada said...

GOOGLET /gu'-glit/: a random tidbit of information gleaned from a Google search; e.g., I found that Googlet about Duke Kahanmoku in a search of the term "Duke."

Seriously, one of you attorney-types should get on this. That's my second coined term in as many months. If Paris Hilton can copyright the phrase "That's hot," I ought to be getting a piece of the action for "embabied" and "googlet." I'll cut you in. Please advise.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Frankie is not too bad and there are a few famous Frankies, as well. But if you don't want him to be called Frankie, don't call him Frankie. Your uncle Kenneth was never Ken to the family because he was called Butch from the beginning. You can always call him Frank or FD or you could call him Stud after my namesake who had no middle name and went through life as Hearl.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went ahead and googled 'Googlet' and came up with this googlet

http://www.findsomesoft.com/mac/mac-os-x/internet/surfing/googlet.html

3:21 PM  
Blogger stuckupgirl said...

you so named your kid after our dog!! how are we going to know which Frankie we're referring to?

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home