3.23.2006

The Kid's Got Stamina

Though Frankie has been showing elements of his personality to us all along, it’s become clearer in recent months. Sure, he exhibits some “typical” baby characteristics any little guy his age might, but he’s also showing us what we will be dealing with in years to come. And that’s that he won’t back down. Ever.

You see, the world moves to Frankie’s beat. What time is it? Frankie time. What are you doing at 7pm next Tuesday? Frankie watching. Who do you think about? Frankie, Frankie, Frankie, Frankie. He craves constant, personal interaction, damn those dirty dishes in the sink and that unfinished kitchen remodel. Fixing dinner? I sure as hell don’t think so, utters Little Lord Franklin. He also likes to try and drink your beer. Seriously.

Now, I know what you’re thinking, how can two of the most patient, mousy, non-stubborn people in the world have such a child? I assure you, we’re as confused as you are! This personality trait makes itself most evident in his outright refusal to sleep. Going to bed is generally an hour plus process that involves crying, kicking and screaming…and then more crying. Sleep comes only when Frankie allows it to come. He cannot be willed otherwise. Sure, we’re frustrated and very, very tired, but dammit if we’re not just a little impressed at the single mindedness of his mission and his relative success at it. You gotta hand it to him, he more often than not slays the dragon of sleep. I know, I know. Other parents out there are thinking, let him cry it out. Rock him to sleep. Sing to him. Establish a routine. Done, done, done and done. The kid’s too freaking smart to fall for that crap. “Oh sure, lady, sing that little lullaby, and maybe I’ll even pretend to nod off” thinks Frankie, “But I’m just humoring you!” “Rock me all you want, Grandpa, but I’ll kick my legs until I’m fully awake” says he as he silently mutters an evil laugh.

Turns out, we’re no match for an eight month old boy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Silver Zephyr said...

but dontcha love the part where they're eating the spaghetti?

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just in from Michael the Subaru salesman and anyone who has ever promised Anna an article for Sample or Girlstown and been a few minutes late:

Anna is not patient of mousy.

In a good way.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that goes DOUBLE for David...I just figured that part of the blog was meant to be a joke (and I can say this about my son because it is said that he got his patience from me!).

9:02 AM  
Blogger Silver Zephyr said...

Shelee: Frankie has already started pulling off the tabs on his diaper. Now, as long as he doesn't start pulling poo out of it...I think we'll be ok. I've heard horror stories about that.

Ans yeah, David and I are very stubborn, so I was kidding about us being otherwise. We had it coming!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to motherhood! And now the real fun begins! I'm sure y'all are doing great!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home