8.20.2005

He's a fucking GENIUS, man!


At home with Frankie, 8/20
Originally uploaded by silverzephyr.
I'm pleased to report that Frankie survived the first 24 hours in our exclusive custody. In fact, it was a lot rougher on us than it was on him. Anna and I slept in two or three hour shifts, I think. The night is a blur. I feel like what it must be like inside the mind of Dennis Hopper's expatriate journalist from Apocalypse Now, amped out of my gourd on megadoses of fear and awe. I sleep in fitful bursts, awakened by the slightest murmer from the co-sleeper. Frankie has decided to bless me with exclusive rights to his shitty diapers, somehow managing to crap only during my shifts. We tried to maintain a strict feeding schedule for the first couple of hours, but it's quickly devolved into an ad lib, on-demand enterprise, and Frankie's calling the shots. His appetite is the last thing anyone needs to worry about. However, having just typed that sentence, I was interrupted for a ten-minute discussion about our joint inability to recall the exact times and frequency of today's feedings, the long and short of which was Anna's conclusion that he's not eating enough. So what do I know? Seems to me everything's going pretty good, but at this point, I'd be hard pressed to pass a competency hearing, so my opinion is probably not to be trusted. This picture was taken ten minutes ago, and having Frankie on the couch next to me is making the task of writing pretty damn difficult. All I want to do is stare at him, even when he's sleeping. If his captivating spell doesn't wear off shortly, finishing my dissertation is going to be much harder than I'd imagined.

7 Comments:

Blogger swamp4me said...

Hehe...I told y'all the real fun was about to begin! Welcome to parenthood -- it isn't always pretty, but it is always worth it.
And if he is producing shitty diapers, then he is getting enough to eat :)

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just getting caught up as I try to keep an eye on svetlana to make sure she doesnt go though our gates and down the stairs (I dont trust these gates, or my ability to properly install them.)Congratulations on surviving the first 24 hours, welcome home to frankie, and yea, dump is good, he is eating well. Though, forgive our crazy chart making, but, we would be happy to send you our template of the svetlana food in waste out charts :) really, it's funny, but we have the grid, it kept us on task for the first few weeks.we are willing to share

congrats and welcome to the funhouse,


love Ron Z and Svetlana

2:28 PM  
Blogger Dada said...

Yeah, the title of the post is a line from Apocalypse Now. I was trying to capture the demented enthusiasm of Dennis Hopper, which isn't easy to do in this medium.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now you understand the love...

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how such a little bitty guy controls everything that happens, isn't it? He is so precious and I just look at these photos for hours.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having your boy home! What a cutie. Almost makes me want another, but considering mine are ages 7 and 16, I should be looking forward to the chance where it'll be just Scott and myself. FYI...incase you wonder who are these weirdos making comments on my site. Scott was Kristen's friend in Clear Lake. He has always thought the world of your mom and dad. Anyway, we know that your little Frankie will get lots and lots of love from Grandma Judy and Grandpa Frank.

Good luck and enjoy all the new wonders in your life!!

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I screamed out loud when I read that you finally got to bring Frankie home!!! Congratulations! I am a catering buddy of Joann's and have been following your story from St. Louis. Your love for each other and Frankie has been such a joy to me. I look so forward to your postings and have been rooting for all of you. You made my day today. Best of luck with the new challenges of having Frankie home. What a lucky kid! :) Kathy

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home