7.05.2005

My Life As A Veal Calf

As I lie here with my retro-styled (Developed for astronauts! As seen on TV!) Flowtron leg massagers, sensing my ass turning into something akin to aspic, I think I know what veal calves must feel like. I am being prepped for slaughter. Sitting upright is discouraged in this battle of wills to keep Frankie inside my belly.

However, Dave and I have both decided that it isn’t right for me to complain after finding out yesterday that there is a woman on our floor who is at 22 weeks and has to sit with her head and body below the level of her legs, so that what remains of her fluid stays inside -- plus she has to eat hospital food. We have parents running around grocery shopping for organic chicken and vegetables and nightly visits from our very own dessert fairy, Kristin. At any rate, we figure we have years of good guilt inducing labor stories for Frankie. “Oh? You want a larger allowance? Well, as soon as you pay us back for your Mom’s three week hospital stay when you were born, we’ll get right on that.” “Oh sure – ride your bike off that ramp and get hurt – after all we went through to have you!” The possibilities are endless.

Certainly one of the most important things this experience has taught me besides the fact that “bed rest” might sound fun and relaxing but really is not at all, is that I spent way too much time being upset by little things before. A sense of renewed perspective has overtaken my worries and concerns from before. Yes, I will still get pissed off about animal cruelty and the lack of healthcare in the US, but less so if someone is just being an asshole to me or I discover that someone has written something derogatory about me in a local bathroom (true story!).

It sounds squishy and sentimental but we feel very encouraged knowing everyone is rooting for us and Frankie. Finally! A sport I can get behind! We appreciate the cheers and the waving of the collective pointy foam finger on our behalf.

9 Comments:

Blogger horrendous cacophony said...

hey dave and anna! sorry i am so out of the loop. i just found out yesterday! anyway, here is an entertaining website you can read/send cards from..

http://www.cyranet.com/cat/6-42.html

thinking good thoughts for you!

-hc

8:25 AM  
Blogger swamp4me said...

Despite his current situation, that Frankie is a lucky boy because he is surrounded by love.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT TO HERE YOU WRITING (SPEAKING ) AGAIN YOU SOUND LIKE ANNA

DAD

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that technology has been perfected to let bedresting mothers-to-be communicate with the outside world.

Future blogpost request: I'm most impressed that it seems like the hospital is making it fairly easy for Dave to be around all or most of the time. How's that work? I've read you have help with the cats & plants - but is DB really able to "live there"? There's an extra bed and everything? Or is Dave sleeping in a beside chair? Did he beat up some intern and steal his scrubs so he can sneak in?

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say to make any of this easier. You have both taken incredible steps for a person you have felt but not yet seen. Your child is beyond lucky to have you. I wish all of you the best of luck in the next few days (and in Frankie's case, maybe months). Love for a person can never be underestimated, and the effects of that love have results that even the best doctors cannot predict.
If there is anything that you need, please call. A family is much more than genetics, if you need reach out to us.

Michelle & Kevin (currently at debate camp)

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been out of town and didn't hear any of this till today!!!! can somebody email me and let me know how to contact y'all so i can get some much needed info? i'm worried!! hope all is well and hang in there!!

luv, Krista
little_surveyor@yahoo.com

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this ward of the hospital has no policy on visiting hours for our situation. people could be in here at 2am if they want and stay all night. dave has a roll away bed that he puts next to mine at night. we're not on the same level, but he's within kicking distance if i need anything. we are stocked with food packed away in coolers (no hospital food for me!) and all the flowers people have sent keep the room pretty fresh. all the nurses know us now, so we feel fairly comfortable. dave is an excellent nurse and quite good at hooking up the baby heart monitor and finding frankie's heartbeat (seems easy but can be a difficult task when he feels like "hiding"). the nurses here think he's the best husband ever (and i tend to agree).

8:39 AM  
Blogger Silver Zephyr said...

My "job," if it can be called that, is very flexible. I spend my summers teaching high school students, and was a week into it when Anna's water broke. I called my "boss" (again, that's not quite the right word) and he told me to take care of Anna and not worry about coming back. Of course, when I called to tell him that Anna and I were going to have a baby in September, right as the college debate season is kicking off, he told me he'd probably need me to travel again sometime in January. I'll teach two night classes in the Fall, but until late September, I've got nothing to do but pamper Anna and take care of Frankie. And write a dissertation, but we're not talking about that right now.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Milalee said...

Anna - so good to read a message from you. you sound really great - in good spirits and that's so important. keep it up! i've been thinking about you everyday and checking in on the site to get the latest update on your and Frankie's condition. please let me know if you or Dave need anything at all! still rooting for you,
xoxo
lara

p.s. - were you doped up when you wrote you worry for me (?!) in your thank-you card? certainly the hospital stay is infecting your brain with nonsense. i'm perfectly well. hang in there sweetie.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home